Honda Financial repossed vehicle for partial missed payment from 9 months ago

Issue not resolved
Feb 25, 2008
review #113930

Medical expenses for my 85 year old mother and 3 previously bad sales years caused me to file bankruptcy in May 07. In doing so, I reaffirmed on an auto loan with Honda Financial.Also, during this time period I changed from a regular bank to my company's credit union continuing to make payments to Honda. Apparently during the banking switch one of my car payments did not go through. I still am unable to figure out exactly what happened, however my CU does not send notices to keep costs down to its members. I was totally unaware of the missed Honda payment until I got a collection call from Honda in late October 07, telling me I was one payment past due. I told the collection rep I had not missed any payments and that she must be mistaken. She said "oh, I see now that the missed payment is actually from June. I said June, its now late October. She said that because of the bankruptcy they were not allowed to contact me about any payments. I asked couldn't you even send a written notice?? She said they were not allowed to send statements during that time period. My discharge date was October 07. I told the Honda collection rep that I would try to pay extra to cover the arrears, but under the circumstances of trying to get current on 2 student loans and my mortgage payment, I doubt that I could come up with and extra car payment that quickly. I was already working 2 jobs to get caught up. The collection rep said that she was sorry but that the collection calls would escalate.Escalate they did. Honda proceeded to dun me at work and at home. I finally had to ask them not to call me at work. I was sending extra on the missed June payment to get it caught up. I planned to pay the remaining arrears in March 08 with my upcoming bonus check from a good sales year. Shortly after I asked them to stop calling me at work -"Shanita" at Honda repossed the vehicle for not even one complete payment!! Mind you I had been trying to pay extra on the payment since I was notified of it in October 07.The recovery center for Ohio is in Elgin, Il. Calling there to find out about the whereabouts of the vehicle was an exercise in futility. I asked for a supervisor and got Christa-ext 4084.

I have never, ever been spoken to so harshly and treated so rudely before in my life. As traumatic as this was already, "Christa told me that this was my fault and that I needed to pay my bills. I told her for gods sake the payment was from June and I didn't know anything about it until October she replied "they are under no obligation to let me know anything". It is my responsibility. She was nasty and augumentative.The recovery rep Lisa Howard was just as bad. Her replies to my questions made me feel like I was on Mission Impossible. The day they picked up the car I was on my way to make a payment (which I always Money Wire) I asked this rep "how do I get my car back"? she said well I cant tell you anything until I get the file back from the rep who repossed it, but it should be by the end of the business day. But she added---it wont be just for the amount that's past due. Okay, by now I've missed one days work from my full time and part time jobs-no car.My "right to cure" the default totalled 2269.72. One partial payment, one regular payment (that I was ready to pay) $25 of the $325 repo costs (the rest added to the end of my loan) plus 2 additional security payments. Also, the regular March payment would be due as scheduled---GRAND TOTAL 2839.24. Excessive amounts by anyone's measure. When I asked Ms. Howard if we could reduce these amounts and work something out- She replied"you have no options". If you dont pay it your car will be sold. Do these reps eat bones for breakfast?I have told everyone and anyone who would listen to me not to ever buy a Honda vehicle and certainly not to finance it through Honda financial.This is predatory treatment at best. If I intended not to pay for the vehicle I would not have reaffirmed on it. Do you know how many offers you receive to buy a brand new car directly after bankruptcy?? It is easier than pie. My car purchase was a 2006 used Honda.

I am still numb and reeling from the treatment I have received, this outrageous no option "right to cure" plan and for being talked to and treated like ***.What I no for sure is they have lost the potential interest on this loan for good. When I get the car back it will be refinanced with lightening quick speed.

No one deserves to be treated this way.Do not use Honda Financial. I am still reeling from this As soon

bed1dea
Had an experience with Honda Financial?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
HondaLover4ever

Jun 17

My vehicle is currently financed through Honda and unlike most of the others, I've had a wonderful experience with Honda. I will say that I pay my bill on time, every month. However, one instance I knew I would be late so I called them to make sure they were aware I would be making the late payment. The rep told me I actually had a pretty large grace period and if I couldn't make the payment by the grace period I would simply incur a late fee, I believe it was $20. Well, I ended up paying later than expected and incurred the late fee. I called Honda to see if they could waive the fee and sure enough the rep removed the fee and I simply paid my standard payment. Honda has been good to me.

0 0 Reply
There's a simple way to avoid

Jun 20, 2012

Maybe I'm an exception. I've had my car financed through Honda financial for three years. In that time, I've heard not one word from them. Probably has something to do with the fact that I pay my payment on time, in full, every month.
The people thinking its "illegal" to repo unless you're three months behind? Seriously? It's called a due date for a reason. If you're late, you're in default.
The people who only have two or three payments left also make me laugh. Should Honda just not worry about the last few payments? 57 payments should be considered "close enough"?
Everyone has fallen on some hard times, but that doesn't mean it's anyone's fault but your own that you can't pay your car payment. If I lose my job tomorrow, I've got money in savings to ensure that I do t have an issue.

jp

Dec 08, 2012 Santa Rosa, California

if people missing 2 or 3 payments because of hardship and end up losing their car makes you laugh, then you must work for a bank or some other financial institution. you are one of those ***!

Only Me.

Apr 06, 2012

What ever you do, don't use Honda Finance. If you have any chance of falling behind on payments, they are the worst I've ever heard of. In my case, I was behind one payment and the rudest person I've ever talked to called. "Mrs Barnes" talked to my wife and put my her tears. I also should mention that the *one* payment we were past due on was the second to the last one on our loan. When she first called, it was 5 minutes before they closed on a Saturday and she left a message demanding we call them and tell them where they "could pick up their car today." It wasn't even 30 days behind at the time, but the loan term was a week away. When my wife called her on Monday "Mrs Barnes" said she would not extent the loan at all (as we had been told to ask by another rep,) and accused my wife of lying to her about what I had been told. On top of that, I called back later in the day and found out that "Mrs Barnes" was all of the sudden "our rep" and there was nothing anyone else could do. I paid the loan off in total that day. I've purchased more than a hundred thousand dollars worth of cars from Honda in the last ten years. This one is my *last*. No problems with the cars. Lots of problems with the single most unprofessional collectors I've ever talked to.

1 0 Reply
!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 12, 2012

Honda finacial services is horrible! I allowed someone to borrow my vehicle who had an accident in it. She agreed to make payments but later stopped. Once contacted by Honda I found out she was two months behind. I contacted her and explained to Honda that the car was towed and she did not know where. I was harassed by different agents and even TEXT by one saying "your time is running out, we don't believe the story you told and we need to hear from you by end of business day!" one rep told me to make the two months payment by the following Friday and another said by the following Monday. I kept getting different deadlines. I finally made the two months payment. A month later I located the car and spent 5000 to get it repaired. The last rep said " I see we're the car has been in an accident, and I understand your issue" I told her I had made the payment Amount reared and she put me on hold but never returned. I got no more calls or letters from Honda and continued making payments. While out to dinner with my family my car was repoed from the parking lot. It has my jewelry in it and most importantly my work equipment. Honda has been giving me run around all day and talking to me as if I were a carjacker. They said my car should've been taken off the repo list but however they keep putting me on hold or transferring me to people who don't know anything. I will never again trust Honda and I am telling every one about them. I have 9 months left to pay on my car and they... Show more

Yoko Ueshiro

Jan 20, 2012

Been trying to contact recovery about my honda. reposessed last month by fincncial. Owe about 2,ooo. they said they would work with me due to work lay offs and crisis when my house was robbed in October. Received no grace period or extension and would like to work on reclaiming my car. Please email at yoko.ueshiro@yahoo.com. Plz txt me at 347-650-5902. Thank you

Honda is Not That bad

Nov 09, 2011 Oposhnya, Poltavs'ka Oblast'

my 2005 accord was repossessed on 11/05/2011, sunday morning. I had to wait until monday morning to call them since there closed on sundays and they told me that i had to call back after 3 pm with the information about where my car was and how much it would cost to get it back. So i called at 3 on the dot and they had my information, at first they said i owed the remainder of my loan including repo fees and service charges which added up to $6,355. But i asked the rep if there was any other options to get my car back. he asked me why i fell behind on my payments, i told him why, (i've been working temp jobs on and off the last two years since i was laid off froma job of 5 years) he said okay you have to fill out an exceptance application, meaning they will except just this one time to allow me to just pay the arrears and repo fees. I filled out the app, which included my address, 3 references, they needed a copy of my utility bill to verify where i lived, a letter stating why i fell behind and my last two paystubs. I faxed it to them at 7:30 am the next day. I gave them time to look it over and called them at 10 am. They said my app was approved and that i had to western union them $1,345.63, which included my past due balance, and repo fees. I get paid thsi friday and will send them the money then and pick up my car. I will have to pay the stoarge lot there daily fee of $30. But all in all the reps where very nice and understanding. I think if you call them screaming at... Show more

Annoyed

Oct 28, 2011

My mother is 64, widowed, lost her job, and now lost her unemployment. She is 2 months behind on her car payment. They sent the repo man to the house today. Lucky for mom, I am hiding the car. I went online to make the payment tonight for her b/c I don't trust their site to post date things as they once took money prior to my authorization date - and her loan info is gone! Tomorrow will be a fun day... I am calling them.

Aug 07, 2013

they purposely lock you out of the "easy pay" on line site so you CANNOT make a payment because they WANT you to default so they can repo your car. They are nothing more than theives. I simply cannot believe our government is letting them get away with this behavior. Our country is worse off than I thought. Get a shotgun everyone. And lots of ammunition. Protect yourselves from criminals like this.

Lila

Oct 27, 2011

I have leased with honda through honda finacial as well. The men weren't all that bad, but any time i would get a woman, they were horrible to me. But it is illegal for a leasing or loaning company to reposses on the 1st missed payment. the only time the ever repo is if you're 3 or more payments behind.

jesus

Oct 25, 2011

OMG..i agree with everyone here..the customer service reps for honda finance are horrible horrible people..they r very rude and unprofessional, i hope they all lose their jobs..hey repoed my car after i had missed one payment and when i tried calling them for info, they attacked my like i owed them money, they got really personal..so be very aware, buy honda but do not finance thru honda finance u will regret!!!

?????

Sep 20, 2011

In response to UNKNOWN and Jessica...
My question is why are they so different for each individual???
There should be a policy that is straight and simply stated about their terms for repos....I have not found one yet.
BTW...they were very nice to me every time I called and they said "Not a problem. Take as much time as you need to get caught up in your payments." Three weeks later...my car was repoed...

Will never buy a Honda

Sep 20, 2011

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who has had this experience with HONDA!! My car was taken from my property without so much as a repo letter. My car was paid off in full on the very day it was repoed (thanks to my dad!) before 11 AM and I did not get notice of where my car was (after several attempts) until 3 o'clock and I had to be there by 5 or it would be on for yet another destination. It's location was an hour and 45 minutes away! I was 1,000 behind but making payments with only 5 payments until it was totally paid off. I work with a person who has a HONDA and is 1,400 behind on the payments ~ yet not repoed!! On top of that I recieved a certified letter from HONDA which I was thinking was my title instead it was a letter saying they were in possession of my car and would be selling it. I still have not recieved my title. I will NEVER purchase another HONDA and since I am the only one who provides for my children, neither will they!!! And anyone I can tell about the TERRIBLE treatment!!!

0 0 Reply
I'm amazed at Honda Finance!

Aug 22, 2011

I have read many bad reviews about Honda Finance customer service and at first I would not have agreed, but now I've had my own horrible experience. When you are a day or so late and you call to let them know when you will make a payment you are immediately routed to regular customer service. These reps are using proper customer service techniques. But, please don't have any major life experiences (as most humans do) that may cause you to pay 7 days later than normal, because then, you are no longer able to speak to the reps with training. You are routed to a group of ***. These people act as though all their bills are completely paid off. They all own their homes and cars and have the right to talk down to you because you are trying to make an arrangement to make a payment to the company they are working for in the next day or two. Honda Finance need to get it together.

disgustedcont..

Feb 27, 2011

sorry laughing so hard forgot to put CAR... :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin ... Show more

digusted

Feb 27, 2011

you drive your mothers car? I would be laughing to but that is just sad how old are u? try being a responsible consumer loser. you and the author need to stop playing like you were only 1 payment behind cuz that is just a lie.

Disgusted

Feb 25, 2011

I have purchased/leased 7 hondas at the age of 40 now. I was late with my December payment, called Dan to let him know I would be paying in 8 days, he said "That is not acceptable". His saying it is "not acceptable" doesn't make money magically appear in my hands? He asks me if I can borrow the money from a friend or family member. I say good grief, for an 8 day late car payment I don't think so. I tell him the date I will pay and we end the call. Using my address, he looks up public property records, finds my neighbors and starts calling them, he calls my grandmother, my mother etc...Honda must only hire ex-convicts straight from prison because they are disgusting, sick, twisted & absolutely ignorant. I will NEVER buy another Honda and will spread the word!!! By the way Honda, after you came and got my car, my mother brought over her Mercedes Benz for me to drive, AND I HAVE NO CAR PAYMENT :-) HAHAHAHAH

ruthless honda financial

Jan 14, 2011

The staff at Honda Financial are rude, unintelligent, and insensitive. This behavior usually stems from the top. Thus, I will never buy a Honda again in my life. This is coming from someone who has only driven Hondas up until the age of 42. Talk about an excellent car company gone down the toilet.

0 0 Reply
never buying a honda again

Jan 04, 2011

wow, some people have never faced a financial challenge or lost a job. Of course you sign the contract when things look right, but some times you lose a job or a family member, or your pay decreases. This doesn't mean you should be degraded, by honda or *******s who no nothing about life. I hope when life happens to you inconsiderate you know whats, youu remember your ignorance!

1-20 of 58 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.